Sunday, February 8, 2009

Kaiten: Work In Progress - The Paint In The Ask  

0 comments

The Paint - I wanted something dark but yet shinny...
Well, I finally put my pearl paint brought during my Japan trip into good use.

First, I primed the model with Mr Hobby's 1200 Gray primer-in-a-can. Then I coat it with Gaia's Semi-gloss black.





Finally I poured my unnamed pearly goodness into a dispenser and dilute it with Mr Color Thinner till "milk" fluidity and spread away~. Shown here is the picture of the part after one coat of the diluted pearl paint(Left).

Note: This is just my way of spraying pearl paint as I did not understand the Japanese instruction to get the proper ratio of colored paint vs pearl paint....

Next, I wanted a secondary color to be having the same characteristic as the primary color. Dark and Shinny. So I have to use some clear color to overlay onto the primary color. So I chose clear purple. As Purple is a deep but still vibrant color.

Unfortunately, there is no clear purple on stock... So I improvised and used clear blue + clear red. Yes, that's a bird nest bottle that I recycled to store the mixture. And to make it more air tight, I taped around the cap and the brim of the bottle :)
Tips: Don't throw away your used masking tape! Use them to cover your paint during breaks to prevent dust from settling in.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



Visitor No: