Friday, February 6, 2009

Kaiten: Work In Progress - Prototyping The Tail  

0 comments

The tail.... the curvy shape of the original selected parts do not fit in with the rest of the more pointy and sharp-edged armor plate. I had to replace it with left over parts from the same Zoids model (BZ-007:Diploguns) that I used for armor plates. In addition, I wanted a booster module in each segment for a flexible and responsive look. And this is what I came up :)












Last portion of the tail is using the tail of Zoids Model (EZ-047:Maccurtis)











And to cover up the hollow inner layer:











The scriber tool comes in a set of 2 photo etch stencils and a scriber pen. I always wanted to get one of this to engrave panel lines on my custom just like those commonly seen on gundams.

Tips: After scribing a few lines, I realized that its quite difficult for me to stop the styrene from moving. So I come up with a D.I.Y sticky base I called tappy tray :)
Simply use a thick masking tape, reverse it so that the sticky side is facing up, and then cord it around a piece of hard plastic to act as a base for scribing. As both top and bottom of the base are sticky, both base and styrene will not move :)



After all the panel lines are scribed, I used the micro chisel to slow press onto the lines. This is an amazing tool that can get into tight places. Selling separately is the round tip that works especially well for rounded corner. They can both be mounted on a normal pen vice if you are lazy to keep swapping.

Next I proceed to use the photo etch mesh to cover the vent slits and using 2 pieces of styrene L bar, I make square exhaust pipe to fill up the side and putty any gaps left.

After making these panels, I went to modify the tail as I felt that the original design was only cosmetic and did not provide much function. I used the head part of the Hurricane Hawk as the tail for Kaiten and added a pair of blade from the Diploguns to create the Deadlock mechanism that will lock down any enemy vessel's anchor into the seabed.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



Visitor No: